AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
NME.COM feature on AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) album including album review, artwork, tracks, listen now, tour dates, discography and more.
Nudity, duck-walking and huge solos… Angus Young makes grown men weep in LA. Los Angeles (December 6)
- Jan 5, 2009
Rock 'N' Roll Train
- Oct 3, 2008
Let's not piss about. You can debate this and argue that but certain things we hold to be self-evident and one of those things is that [a]AC/DC[/a] are the fuckin' greatest.
- Feb 24, 2000
"He's in hospital but he's a fighter," says bandmate
The band have completed work on the follow-up to their 2008 album 'Black Ice'
Singer posted message to his car racing website
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You): Wikipedia Album Entry
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) is the eighth album by Australian hard rock band AC/DC, released in 1981. The album was a follow-up to their highly successful album Back in Black. For Those About to Rock has sold over 4 million copies in the US. It was AC/DC's first and only No. 1 album in the USA until the release of Black Ice in October 2008. In their original 1981 review, Rolling Stone magazine declared it to be their best album.
The album was the third and final produced for the band by Robert John "Mutt" Lange.
The name of the album was inspired by a book Angus Young read, entitled For Those About To Die, We Salute You, about Roman gladiators. The gladiators' final words to the emperor were "Ave Caesar morituri te salutant" - or, "Hail Caesar, we who are about to die, salute you." The album was re-released in 2003 as part of the AC/DC Remasters series.
Recorded in a rehearsal space on the outskirts of Paris. The band had found it difficult to come up with their desired sound while on their previous rehearsing location (an abandoned factory in France).
The album became AC/DC's first US No. 1 album. After its release the band embarked on its first arena tour of North America (late 1981 through early 1982). For the title track, large cannons were placed on stage, set to go off in accordance with the song on the album.
In Spain, early copies of the album featured a sleeve with the colours reversed, i.e., a gold cannon on a black background.
The title track's popularity was such that in every live concert AC/DC has done thereafter, the song is performed as an encore and is always accompanied by firing cannons on stage.
It was re-released in 2003 in CD format. That edition consisted of digitally remastered material from the original masters.
For Those About to Rock was also the name of a movie including live performances by AC/DC, as well as Metallica, The Black Crowes, and Pantera.
* In the video game Guitar Hero II, the Gibson SG's description has a line which reads: "For those about to rock, we... give you the Gibson SG".
* On Nintendo's website, the ad for the Wii version of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock states "For those about to rock, Wii salute you". This tagline is also seen in the music store for Rock Band 2 Wii users.
* In the movie School of Rock, Jack Black says to the class: "In the words of AC/DC: We roll tonight... to the guitar bite... and for those about to rock... I salute you"
* The album was referenced by Beastie Boys on their 1989 single "Shadrach."
* ESPN uses it for their college football coverage.
* Artie Lange, sidekick on Howard Stern's radio program, frequently references Brian Johnson's exclamation of "FIRE!!" from the title track.
* WBCN often uses the opening guitar notes of the title track as segue ways into and out of commercials during New England Patriots radio broadcasts.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Artist/Album artwork images hosted by Last.fm. For copyright enquiries please see here.