Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
NME.COM feature on Band of Horses - Cease to Begin album including album review, artwork, tracks, listen now, tour dates, discography and more.
Release date: 09 October 2007
Cease To Begin
Suffering succotash! Yet more beardie Yanks! Shares in Gillette must be tumbling. But facial adornments aside, admirers of My Morning Jacket and Nada Surf will appreciate Band Of Horses’ brand of intelligent, jangly, folkish rock. ‘Cease To Begin’ is the second album by this trio from the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and, with angel-voiced lead singer Ben Bridwell at the fore,...
- Oct 19, 2007
Tracklisting click track to read more
- Is There a Ghost
- Ode to LRC
- No One's Gonna Love You
- Detlef Schrempf
- The General Specific
- Lamb on the Lam (In the City)
- Islands on the Coast
- Marry Song
- Cigarettes, Wedding Bands
- Window Blues
Band perform 'Infinite Arms' tracks at London show
The group's third album will be released on May 17
Gig run will begin in Cambridge on June 7
Band of Horses - Cease to Begin: Wikipedia Album Entry
Cease to Begin is the second full-length album by Band of Horses, released on October 9, 2007. Lead singer Ben Bridwell said about the album in an interview: "I guess the first record had some kind of country-ish leanings and things [but] I think there's maybe a little bit more of [that] feeling on it, a little more down-home, I guess, and not so much indie rock."
The first track, "Is There a Ghost", was made available for download on the band's MySpace page on August 28, 2007. This song was #93 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007. The song became the band's first charting single in the United States, peaking at #34 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The album leaked to the internet before its release. Shortly after the official release, the album's third track and second single "No One's Gonna Love You" was featured as a free iTunes download, distributed at Starbucks locations.
The album debuted at number 35 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, selling about 21,000 copies in its first week. This album was #47 on Rolling Stone's list of the Top 50 Albums of 2007.
Cease to Begin was released in Japan on July 23, 2008 by Tear Bridge Records. The album featured three live bonus tracks and an enhanced video for "Is There a Ghost".
1. "Is There a Ghost" – 2:59
2. "Ode to LRC" – 4:16
3. "No One's Gonna Love You" – 3:37
4. "Detlef Schrempf" – 4:28
5. "The General Specific" – 3:07
6. "Lamb on the Lam (in the City)" – 0:50
7. "Islands on the Coast" – 3:34
8. "Marry Song" – 3:23
9. "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" – 4:35
10. "Window Blues" – 4:01
11. "No One's Gonna Love You" (live BBC session) (Japan-only bonus track)
12. "Is There a Ghost" (live BBC session) (Japan-only bonus track)
13. "Act Together" (live BBC session) (Japan-only bonus track)
14. "Is There a Ghost" (enhanced video) (Japan-only bonus track)
* Produced by Phil Ek and Band of Horses.
* All songs written by Ben Bridwell, except "Act Together" written by Ronnie Wood.
* "Is There a Ghost" (August 28, 2007)
* "No One's Gonna Love You" (February 25, 2008)
Cease to Begin received a 78/100 rating on Metacritic. It appeared on many "Best of 2007" lists:
* Austin Chronicle, Doug Freeman, #1 album of 2007
* Delusions of Adequacy, #9 album of 2007
* Filter Magazine, #2 album of 2007
* The Onion AV Club, #5 album of 2007
* Paste Magazine, #9 album of 2007
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Artist/Album artwork images hosted by Last.fm. For copyright enquiries please see here.