After footage from next year’s Suicide Squad movie was shown at Comic-Con in July, fans were so keen to share the sneak peek they’d seen that they began uploading bootleg versions online. Realising the only way to stop them was to share the footage officially, Warner Bros. made the full trailer available on YouTube, and it’s a cracker – deliciously dark with a sprinkling of batshit crazy. Here are 10 things we know so far about this seriously exciting super-villain flick.
1. The so-called ‘Suicide Squad’ that gives the film its title is a team of incarcerated super-villains assigned highly dangerous secret missions by the government in exchange for shortened prison sentences. Their boss is often formidable government agent Amanda Waller, who’s being played in the film by Oscar-nominated The Help actress Viola Davis.
2. The film’s writer-director, David Ayer, whose previous credits include Training Day and Fury, has reassured fans that he’ll be staying pretty faithful to the original DC Comics source material.
3. The film’s main posse of super-villains are played by Jared Leto (The Joker), Will Smith (Deadshot), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn), Cara Delevingne (Enchantress), Jai Courtney (Boomerang), Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flagg), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Killer Croc), Karen Fukuhara (Katana), Adam Beach (Slipknot) and Jay Hernandez (El Diablo).
4. Leto seems to have the most difficult task, stepping into the The Joker’s shoes so soon after the late Heath Ledger’s mesmerising portrayal of the iconic psychopath in 2008’s The Dark Knight. However, rising star Delevingne reckons it’s actually the “three girls” who have the “best roles” in Suicide Squad.
5. Ben Affleck’s Batman is expected to appear in Suicide Squad – a figure who’s a dead ringer for the caped crusader even appears in the trailer. However, Affleck’s role in the film has yet to be announced officially and rumours that Jesse Eisenberg’s Batman v Superman baddie Lex Luthor will also make a cameo haven’t been confirmed either.
6. David Ayer shared the first picture of his Suicide Squad back in May…. but there was one notable absentee.
7. The 30 Seconds To Mars frontman actually missed the start of shooting, but to underline his commitment to the film, he sent his castmates a series of bizarre gifts – including a dead hog and a live rat.
8. Leto has since joined David Ayer and rest of the cast on set in Toronto and Adam Beach reckons his performance is shaping up to be a multi-layered treat. “He encompasses this beautiful man and he shows it in, ‘Hello, how are you?,’ but in an instant, he goes to psychotic behaviour where you’re in fear,” Beach said recently. “But you love him because he has both of those genuine sides.”
9. David Ayer has also reassured fans that his film won’t rely too heavily on CGI.
10. Oh, and what happened to the rat that Jared Leto sent to the film’s set? Well, Margot Robbie adopted him, named him ‘Rat Rat’, and he apparently “now dines on organic berries from Whole Foods”. Fancy.
Suicide Squad opens in cinemas on August 5, 2016.