OK, we’ll admit it. Despite the fact the video featured a lion, horses and things on leashes we weren’t particularly taken with ‘Run The World (Girls)’.
Maybe it’s because we’ve been told we “don’t like fun” (but this was only when contemplating The Blade ride at Alton Towers) or perhaps it was the songs slightly benign use of Major Lazer’s ‘Pon De Floor’ sample. Truth is, we unfairly compared it to Beyonce’s other album lead singles (stand up ’Crazy In Love’ and ‘Single Ladies’).
It was a grower, sure but not the in the jaw-on-the-floor kind of way her previous opening shots had been.
New track ‘Till The End Of Time’ (not to be confused with ‘Until The End Of Time’) off ‘4’ has leaked and the good news is, it’s much more instantaneous than ‘Run The World (Girls)’.
Cool things about ‘Till The End Of Time’
1) The sneaky, Lauryn Hill style bassline which is the perfect counter-balance to those pesky military drums.
2) The brass section, which sound like they could burst into Steve Winwood’s ‘Valerie’ at any point.
3) The slightly comical and tragic idea that she’s singing the ”I will be your friend” line to husband Jay Z, as if he hasn’t got any mates apart from Beyonce.
4) Her multiple-layered vocals, especially on the ”Boy come to me” bit. It reminds us of how, behind all the metal glove, ass-shaking shenanigans that she’s a pretty stunning singer.
Bad things about ‘Till The End Of Time’
1) Makes us want to do salutes to random strangers.