On February 24, Paul Weller will be named Godlike Genius at the Shockwaves NME Awards, before closing the show with a live performance.
In honour of the great man, here are a few classic clips of the Modfather in action, selected by NME’s resident Weller obsessive, Hamish MacBain.
1. Good bit of smashing expensive sunglasses up and covering Lennon (2002).
2. With Noel Gallagher on The White Room (1995).
3. Miming Bono’s line in ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ on Top Of The Pops (1984).
4. Performing a classic B-side on Saturday morning TV. The Jam were the inspiration for Oasis’s “always have B-sides as good as the A-sides” rule (1981).
5. Ace song from The Style Council’s ‘Our Favourite Shop’ on TV (1985).
6. The Jam at their live peak performing ‘Going Underground’. Incendiary.
7. The final ever Jam inteview.
8. Doing ‘I Heard It Through The Grapevine’ with Amy Winehouse (2008).
9. Amazing solo live performance of a Style Council song, ‘The Whole Point Of No Return’.
10. This one is pretty mental – a cocktail-jazz tune called ‘Dropping Bombs On The White House’.