Have you ever tried to write a love song? Maybe you delivered one to your inamorato this morning. I doubt it. It's not easy to pen lyrics about romance without coming across a complete twonk. Luckily for you, it's not too late to buy a card from the petrol station and whack in one of the quotes below.
We asked our Twitter followers and staffers in the NME office to suggest the most beautiful lyrics about love ever written. No, R Kelly's 'The Zoo' ("I'm your sexasaurus, baby") did not make the cut.
After a scan at the hundreds of 'love lyrics' we've already received, Alex Turner's come out as the chief scribe of romance. Comment below or tweet us your choices @NME followed by #lovelyric. There are more Twitter favourites in a Storify at the bottom. Oh, and mouse over the tag on each image if you want to hear the track.
- The White Stripes, 'Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground'
- Arctic Monkeys, ‘Suck It And See’
- Chris Isaak, ‘Wicked Game’
- Elbow, 'Mirrorball'
- The Beatles, ‘Something’
- Big Star, ‘My Life Is Right’
- The Maccabees, 'About Your Dress'
- The Cure, 'Plainsong'
- Depeche Mode, 'Here Is The House'
- Bob Dylan, 'To Make You Feel My Love'
- Joanna Newsom, 'Good Intentions Paving Company'
- Harry Nilsson, 'Without Her'
- The Smiths, 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'
- Van Morrison, 'Astral Weeks'
- John Butler Trio, 'Fool For You'
- Radiohead, 'True Love Waits'
- Belle & Sebastian, 'Piazza, New York Catcher'
- Etta James, ‘At Last’
- Paul Simon, 'Graceland'
- Pixies, 'The Sad Punk'
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, 'Straight To You'
- Beautiful South, 'Song For Whoever'
- Blur, 'Tender'
- REM, 'At My Most Beautiful'
- Fiona Apple, 'I Know'
- El-P, 'Habeas Corpses'
- Glen Campbell, 'Wichita Lineman'
- Joni Mitchell, 'My Old Man'
- Stephen Merritt, 'As You Turn To Go'
Suggested by: @Kelsey_Baldwin. Photo: PA
Suggested by: @lornathewizard. Photo: Andy Willsher/NME
Suggested by: @Vanadia2. Photo: Richard Johnson/NME
Suggested by: @adamkeyworth. Photo: Emilie Bailey/NME
Suggested by: @benjaminhaslem. Photo: PA
Suggested by: Alan Woodhouse. Photo: Retna
Suggested by: @NathanFlaherty. Photo: Richard Johnson/NME
Suggested by: Bobby Dew. Photo: Tom Oxley/NME
Suggested by: @Vanadia2. Songwriter: Dave Grohl. Photo: Danny North/NME
Suggested: @whenisaywhen. Photo: Retna
Suggested by: Ed Harkness. Songwriter: Ian Curtis. Photo: PA
Suggested by: @Vanadia2.Songwriter: Trent Reznor. Photo: PA
Suggested by: @City_Of_Bugs. Photo: PA
Suggested by: Jon Swaine. Photo: Richard Johnson/NME
Suggested by: @robjohnsonmusic. Photo: PA
Or is it "be in peace"? Suggested by: @Shodood. Photo: Jo McCaughey/NME
Suggested by: @itsahmimsx. Photo: PA
Suggested by: @George95Jones. Songwriter: Mack Gordon, Harry Warren. Photo: Roger Sargent/NME
Suggested by: Luke Lewis. Photo: PA
Suggested by: @onionrick. Photo: Richard Johnson/NME
Suggested by: Jenny Stevens. Photo: Richard Johnson/NME
Suggested by: @amywootten. Photo: Richard Johnson/NME
Suggested by: @mr_patrickgw. Photo: PA
Suggested by: Alan Woodhouse. Photo: PA
Suggested by: Moreeshar Pastrokownskroozles. Photo: Andy Willsher/NME
Suggested by: James Clohessy. Photo: Getty Images
Songwriter: Jimmy Webb. Suggested by: @CorrespondingH and Lucy Jones. Photo: Getty
Suggested by: Fidelia Marmot. Songwriters: Hayden Thorpe. Photo: Roger Sargent/NME
Suggested by: Shane Richmond. Songwriter: Stephin Merritt.