February 6, 2014
Benedict Cumberbatch discusses 'Sherlock' future
Actor says he'll stay for as long as he feels the character is 'developing'
Benedict Cumberbatch has spoken about his future plans for Sherlock.
The actor, who stars as the eponymous consulting detective in the BBC's modern take on Arthur Conan Doyle's classic stories, told USA Today that he had no plans to leave the show as long as it continues to develop and be a challenge.
Cumberbatch, who has launched a Hollywood career off the back of his success in Sherlock and has appeared in films including Star Trek Into Darkness and 12 Years A Slave, said: "I'll keep doing it as long as [Sherlock grows], as long as I feel he's developing and there's stuff we're all being challenged by and that it's being loyal to the original stories as well."
The third series of Sherlock came to a conclusion in January of this year, culminating in the surprise return of the detective's arch nemesis Moriarty. Speaking last month, show creator Steven Moffat said that he and co-creator Mark Gatiss had already plotted out ideas for series four and five of the programme.
"We have got plans - but our plans don't tend to be, 'Let's blow up the world or cast the most famous person in the world'," he said. "Thhey tend to be, 'What exciting twists and turns can we add to this?' And I think we've got some crackers. The ideas we had that day, I thought, were the best we've ever had."
- Previous: Joaquin Phoenix and Adam Driver were approached for Lex Luthor role in 'Batman Vs Superman'
- Next: Gary Oldman reveals 'Star Wars: Episode VII' talks