Bruce Willis left 'The Expendables 3' after asking for $1 million a day, report claims
'Die Hard' star has since been replaced by Harrison Ford
Willis appeared as Mr Church in Sylvester Stallone's first two Expendables movies, and was reportedly offered $3 million (£1.92 million) to reprise his role for the third instalment. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the job would have involved just four days of consecutive filming in Bulgaria.
However, Willis allegedly turned down this offer and asked for more money. "He said he'd drop out unless he got $4 million (£2.56 million)," a source close to the production apparently revealed. "A million dollars a day. Stallone and everybody else involved said no."
Earlier this week (August 6), Stallone announced that Willis had been replaced in The Expendables 3 by Harrison Ford, tweeting: "WILLIS OUT... HARRISON FORD IN !!!! GREAT NEWS !!!!! Been waiting years for this!!!!"
His follow-up tweet, delivered just five minutes later, is presumed to have been a dig at Willis.
The Hollywood Reporter's source apparently added: "I think [Willis] was pretty surprised he was replaced in 72 hours by Harrison Ford - a better actor, a much nicer person and a more interesting direction for the film."
GREEDY AND LAZY ...... A SURE FORMULA FOR CAREER FAILURE— Sylvester Stallone (@TheSlyStallone) August 6, 2013
The Expendables 3 is due to start shooting shortly with up-and-coming Aussie filmmaker Patrick Hughes in the director's chair. Confirmed cast members include Stallone, Ford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham and Kellan Lutz.
Meanwhile, other big names including Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Milla Jovovich and Mel Gibson have also been linked to the movie, though none of these actors is officially signed up yet. Distributors Lionsgate have scheduled The Expendables 3 for release next August (2014).