August 3, 2012
Dan Aykroyd: ''Ghostbusters 3' will go ahead without Bill Murray'
Aykroyd says sequel will go into production "in the next year", but without original star MurrayBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
Dan Aykroyd has revealed that Ghostbusters 3 is now moving forward without Bill Murray.
Aykroyd and co-star Harold Ramis wrote the original 1984 Ghostbusters film and 1989's Ghostbusters II. Both films also starred Murray and were directed by Ivan Reitman. A third film has been stuck in development for over a decade.
Earlier this month (July), Aykroyd revealed that the sequel was being developed by a new writing team. He has now insisted that the film is making good progress with the "brilliant new writer", telling Metro: "We're working on it to make it just right to satisfy our fans. I'm confident we'll be in production in the next year."
Over the last decade, Murray's refusal to confirm his involvement has continually been a stumbling block for Ghostbusters 3. When asked whether Murray was now on board for the sequel, Aykroyd replied: "No, I can tell you he won't be involved."
However, Aykroyd insisted that the film is still viable without Murray, explaining: "It's sad but we're passing it on to a new generation. Ghostbusters 3 can be a successful movie without Bill. My preference would be to have him involved but at this point he doesn't seem to be coming and we have to move on. It's time to make the third one."
- Previous: Mos Def joins Cee Lo Green in new Keira Knightley movie
- Next: New 'X-Files' movie must happen before it's too late, says writer