December 6, 2012
Dan Aykroyd says 'Ghostbusters 3' could become a new series of movies
The long-developed sequel is finally expected to go in front of the camerasBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
The planned Ghostbusters 3 could spin out into a whole new series of movies, according to Dan Aykroyd.
The long-developed sequel is now finally expected to go in front of the cameras, led by original director Ivan Reitman, in November 2013 at the earliest. And now in a new interview, star and co-creator Aykroyd has revealed that they are thinking even further ahead than that.
He told Esquire: "'Man-hell-tan' and the Ghostbusters in hell would be so solid. But we gotta get maybe one or two made before that."
Aykroyd, who played Ray Stantz in the first two movies, has been the biggest cheerleader for the project, which would see the original Ghostbusters hand over the business to a new generation. But he also admitted that so far he has yet to be paid for any of his work.
He said: "Because of the ever-shifting sands and nature of the motion-picture business, I will just say that hopefully, at some point, it will be morphing into what is known in the business as a 'production number XP39789'."
He continued: "Then I will begin to rent cars, get hotel rooms and bill for writing. But that point hasn’t come. All my work has been gratis to this point, as Ivan [Reitman]’s has, and I’m hoping that I can get that production number set up in LA and help everyone bring the movie to fruition, and the originator and creator of the concept."
Ghostbusters 3 has been in its own development hell for a number of years, which Akroyd admitted was largely down to Bill Murray’s reluctance to reprise his role as Peter Venkman. After a period of procrastination, the actor has now ruled himself out.
Aykroyd said: "Had Billy chosen to do the Eisenberg/Stupnitsky [writers of the US version of The Office] script of two years ago, it would be out this summer, and it would be a massive hit. If Billy had said yes, it would have satisfied his performance and what he wanted in the movie, it would have satisfied his performing skill and how he wanted to be depicted in the movie, it would have satisfied the studio, the writers who wrote it, everybody – Ivan, me, Harold, we were all happy with it."
He added: "Then when he said, 'Absolutely not, I'm not in this,' we had to go and really rethink things. He abrogated his say in the project, abrogated his rights to have any say in it by refusing the third offer from the picture company, which his lawyer put before him, and Billy said, 'No, I can't respond.' Now we have to move on, but we'll always leave a hole for him. He's always there. He can always come back at any time and be rebuilt into it, as far as I'm concerned. That's up to his lawyer and the picture company to work out, but creatively, he will always be a part of it."
- Previous: Peter Jackson: 'Martin Freeman was the only person we wanted as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit''
- Next: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' trailer surfaces - watch