February 6, 2013
Daniel Craig will not be axed from 'Dragon Tattoo' sequel, says Rooney Mara
Recent rumours suggested Craig could be cut from 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' to save costsBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
Rooney Mara has insisted there is no chance of Daniel Craig being sliced from the sequel to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Mara starred as computer hacker Lisbeth Salander in the Hollywood adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel, while Craig played investigative journalist Mikael Blomqvist. Directed by David Fincher, the film opened in December 2011 and took $233 million (£147 million) at the box office worldwide - a total Sony Pictures later called a "modest loss".
A sequel based on Larsson's second novel The Girl Who Played With Fire was supposed to come out this year (2013), but the project was delayed while its script was being finished. Last week (February 1), it was reported that Craig could now be written out in a bid to cut costs.
However, Mara has insisted this is not an option. She told MTV: "I've been talking a lot with [David Fincher] about the sequel, and I don't know where that rumour was started. He wouldn't be written out."
Fincher has yet to sign a deal to direct The Girl Who Played With Fire, but Mara confirmed that he remains in the frame. "I would hope that he would [direct the sequel]," she said. "But no matter what, he'll definitely have some sort of involvement."
- Previous: Extra-long 'Fast & Furious 6' trailer appears online - watch
- Next: 'Friends' stars Courteney Cox and Matthew Perry to reunite on US sitcom