May 7, 2014
Disney CEO claims three 'Star Wars' spin-off movies are planned
Movies will come in addition to Episodes 7,8 and 9.
Disney will release at least three Star Wars spin-off films in the next 10 years, it has been revealed.
The first film, Star Wars: Episode VII is already confirmed for a 2015 release but, as Variety reports, Disney CEO Bob Iger says at least three spin-off movies will follow between now and 2024.
Iger spoke at a quarterly earning stockholders call, and clarified that the three spin-offs would come in addition to Episodes 7,8 and 9 in the franchise. It backs up previous suggestions that Disney plan to release a Star Wars film every year.
The seventh instalment of the much loved franchise has begun shooting at London's Pinewood studios ahead of a December 2015 release. A statement released via StarWars.com last month (April 29) confirmed the cast with newcomers Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson and Andy Serkis set to appear alongside original stars Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill.
Director JJ. Abrams said: "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."
Further casting decisions and details of future spin-offs are expected to be announced in due course.
- Previous: Wes Anderson to board 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'-themed cruise
- Next: Emma Stone and Joaquin Phoenix join Woody Allen film