August 6, 2012 12:01
'Dumb and Dumber 2' is back on, says Jeff Daniels
Carey is said to be 'down' with returning to his role as the dim-witted Lloyd Christmas
Dumb and Dumber 2 will go ahead as planned and will likely start shooting early next year, according to the film's star Jeff Daniels.
Daniels had previously said the film was cancelled after Jim Carey pulled out of the production. Carey had said he had grown "increasingly frustrated" about the "lack of enthusiasm" with which film studios New Line and Warner Bros were approaching the project.
But it appears the comic actor has had a re-think and, alongside Daniels, is currently waiting on the script to be finished by the film's creators, The Farrelly Brothers.
Daniels told the Daily Star: "We almost were able to kinda get it done this year, but they're still working on the script. Jim wants to do it. I want to do it and The Farrellys want to do it. We're all hoping that'll come together early next year."
The original Dumb And Dumber film, released in 1994, starred Carrey and Jeff Daniels as dim-witted friends navigating pitfalls on a road trip.
A prequel called Dumb And Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd followed in 2003, but it did not feature the original stars.
Earlier this year,Peter Farrelly, co-director of the original, revealed that he and brother Bob would direct "the first [true] sequel" to the popular comedy.
Carrey will next be seen alongside Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi in Burt Wonderstone, a comedy about Las Vegas magicians scheduled for release next year. Daniels is currently starring in The Newsroom, the new HBO drama series from The Social Network writer Aaron Sorkin.
- Previous: 17.1 million watch Mo Farah clinch Olympic gold
- Next: Richard E Grant to star in new 'Doctor Who' episode