March 8, 2013
Ford, Fisher and Hamill 'pretty much signed' to new 'Star Wars', says George Lucas
He says their deals were being finalised before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney last October
George Lucas has let slip that original stars Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill were "pretty much" signed to the new Star Wars movie before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.
Recalling the completion of the $4.05 billion (£2.5 billion) deal last October, Lucas told Bloomberg Businessweek: "We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison - or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, 'Look, this is what’s going on'. "
Apparently realising he could have let the cat out the bag, Lucas paused before adding: "Maybe I'm not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them. I won't say whether the negotiations were successful or not."
Earlier this week, Carrie Fisher seemed to confirm her role in the new Star Wars movie, before swiftly insisting she was joking. It has also been reported that Harrison Ford has already signed his contract. Meanwhile, Mark Hamill has admitted to being in talks to return.
Lucas will serve as "creative consultant" on the new Star Wars movie, which is being helmed by Star Trek Into Darkness director JJ Abrams. Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt has been hired to pen the script and Disney is aiming for a 2015 release.
- Previous: First 'The Hangover 3' trailer appears online - watch
- Next: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' UK release date moved forward