May 31, 2011
George Lucas 'has 50 hours of 'Star Wars' TV series on hold'
Lucas has show mapped out, but is waiting for technology to catch upBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
George Lucas has said that he has 50 hours worth of a new Star Wars TV series ready, but is waiting for a new technological breakthrough before it can be shot. The creator and director of the hit franchise said he had two seasons of the show planned out, but at this stage it is not financially viable to make them.
The New York Post reports that Lucas made the revelation to tech cable channel G4TV.
He said the series is "awaiting a different type of technology we can use so it's economically feasible to shoot the shows." Though he did not elaborate on what the nature of this technology would be, he said it was "just a very, very difficult process."
Lucas claimed that while TV budgets are one-tenth of those in cinema, the ability to make a credible TV show at such lower costs does not yet exist.
Last year he announced that the planned series had been put on hold. It is believed that it would take place between the events of Revenge Of The Sith and A New Hope.
- Previous: Steve Coogan lined up to play porn baron Paul Raymond
- Next: 'Ghostbusters 3' could still happen but depends on Bill Murray, says Dan Aykroyd