December 4, 2012
George Lucas on new 'Star Wars' movie: 'I don't really have much to do'
Disney has slated 'Star Wars: Episode VII' for release in 2015
George Lucas has admitted that his involvement in future Star Wars movies will be very limited.
Disney has slated Star Wars: Episode VII for release in 2015 and hired Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt to pen the script. Meanwhile, the search for a director is apparently down to "a couple of candidates", with X-Men's Matthew Vaughn reportedly "in talks".
Lucas will serve as a "creative consultant" on the film, but will not play an active role in their development. When asked exactly how involved he will be, Lucas told Access Hollywood: "Basically I'm not – I don't really have much to do."
However, Lucas insisted that he can always pitch in if the Episode VII team gets confused by Star Wars' legacy. He added: "[If the filmmakers ask], 'Who's this guy', I can tell them. I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, 'This is this and this is that.'"
Meanwhile, rumours are already circulating about the creative teams for the second and third new Star Wars movies. Last month (November 2012), it was reported that The Empire Strikes Back scribe Lawrence Kasdan is in line to write Episode VIII. In addition, X-Men: First Class writer Simon Kinberg is said to have been approached about Episode IX.
- Previous: Seth MacFarlane could follow 'Ted' with comedy Western
- Next: Chris Pine calls Cumberbatch's 'Star Trek' baddie 'formidable'