NME.COM

J.J. Abrams says there will be another 'Star Trek' movie after 'Beyond'

The new 'Star Trek' movie opens next Friday (July 22) and Abrams says another will follow afterwards

Getty
J.J. Abrams has apparently confirmed that there will be a fourth film in the Star Trek franchise's current incarnation.

Abrams, who directed the franchise's 2009 reboot and its 2012 sequel Star Trek Into Darkness, and serves as a producer on the forthcoming third instalment Star Trek Beyond, was asked at a US press conference. if another film in this timeline is likely.

"Yes, and there's something that hopefully we're figurative minutes away from talking about," he replied. "But the answer is 100 percent yes, and it's incredibly exciting."

Star Trek Beyond is set for release next Friday (July 22) – two weeks later than initially announced. The first episode of the original Star Trek TV series aired on September 8, 1966, so the film's release roughly coincides with the sci-fi franchise's 50th anniversary.

Fast And Furious veteran Justin Lin replaces JJ Abrams in the director's chair for Star Trek Beyond, shooting from a script co-written by Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the film. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana and John Cho are also reprising their roles from the previous two Star Trek films, joined by new cast members including Idris Elba, who plays the main villain, and Kingsman actress Sofia Boutella.

Anton Yelchin, who died earlier this month in a tragic car crash, appears posthumously as Pavel Chekov. Watch the latest trailer below.

Share This

Connect With Us
This Week's Magazine