Kristen Wiig says she turned down 'Bridesmaids 2' offer
Actress not keen on sequel even though it would have 'made a lot of money'
Wiig co-wrote the first film with her screenwriting partner Annie Mumolo. Released in 2011, the R-rated comedy became an unexpected hit at the box office, grossing over $288 million (£183 million) worldwide, and one of the film's stars Melissa McCarthy has claimed she would be interested in making a sequel. "I would do anything," she said. "If Kristen [Wiig] and Annie [Mumolo] wrote something, if it was like on the back of a napkin and they wanted me to perform it in the backyard, I would do it. But I'll let those ladies decide that."
However, in an interview with Harper's Bazaar, Wiig said she had already refused an offer to make a follow-up film. "It wasn't a hard decision," she said. "We knew during the first one, this was it. We would have made a lot of money if there was a second one, but that's not my goal in my creative life."
Wiig, who made her name performing on US TV show Saturday Night Live, also said that she found it strange that she was now cast as the romantic lead in films considering her comedic past. She said: "When people first started recognising me, they always gave me a second look because they didn't really know what I looked like. For a long time it was my job to be an unattractive older woman or a creepy-looking child."
She is set to star in her new film Girl Most Likely next month, with the flick scheduled to open in the US on July 19 and a week later in the UK on July 26. Click below to watch a trailer.