February 3, 2013
Michael Bay denies 'Transformers 4' is a reboot
Director says the action is set four years on from 'Transformers 3'Buy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
Michael Bay has denied suggestions that Transformers 4 will be a reboot of the franchise.
Speaking in a new interview with Forbes, Bay said he has "redesigned everything from top to bottom" but insists that, despite a whole new cast, the film is not a reboot and will follow on from the first three films.
He said: "We're going to start off smaller. There’s a brand new cast. To freshen the franchise we’ve redesigned everything from top to bottom. The history of the first three movies is still there, we start four years later and there’s a reason why we're meeting a new cast.
"We keep the Transformers the way they were; it’s just four years later. There's a reason the Transformers are redesigned. We’re trying to broaden the franchise and give it more places to go."
Last month, the director revealed that Transformers 4 will be the start of a new trilogy and that Jack Reynor will be taking the lead opposite Mark Wahlberg.
Bay has directed all of the previous three Transformers movies starring Shia LaBeouf, and his latest film Pain & Gain, starring Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson, is due for release in the UK on 3 May 2013.
Transformers 4 is expected to be released in the UK on 27 June 2014.
- Previous: Benedict Cumberbatch to play codebreaker Alan Turing?
- Next: Ben Affleck wins Director's Guild award