March 5, 2014
Michael Keaton insists he's 'more than interested' in 'Beetlejuice 2'
Actor says he'll consider sequel if director Tim Burton is involved
Michael Keaton has said he is "more than interested" in returning for a Beetlejuice sequel.
A slow-moving sequel has been in the works at Warner Bros since September 2011 and it was previously reported that Tim Burton is now "officially in talks" to direct it.
Speaking on the Today Show, Keaton - who played the title role in the cult 1988 film - said that he would want to be involved in the project as long as Burton returned as director. "I've been talking about it for years, and saying if I ever did something again, it'd be that, he said.
"The rumours... have risen before and fallen away. If Tim is involved, and I think he might be involved, I'd be more than interested. He's so original. He's an artist."
Previously, Keaton's original co-star Winona Ryder also hinted that she would star in a follow-up film. The sequel has a script by Seth Grahame-Smith, who also co-wrote the screenplay for Burton's 2012 film Dark Shadows. Speaking back in May 2012, Grahame Smith said the new Beetlejuice movie would not be a "remake" or "reboot", but "a true sequel with Michael Keaton as the title character".
- Previous: Bryan Cranston says he wanted to play Lex Luthor in 'Batman Vs Superman'
- Next: First 'Paddington' trailer revealed - watch