Michael Keaton says 'Beetlejuice 2' is happening

Tim Burton is reportedly in talks to direct a sequel to his cult favourite from 1988

Michael Keaton has apparently confirmed that Beetlejuice 2 is actually happening.

A slow-moving sequel has been in the works at Warner Bros since September 2011 but last month (October) it was reported that Tim Burton is now "officially in talks" to direct it.

Asked by TMZ yesterday (November 6) whether Beetlejuice 2 has a green light and is "a go", Keaton replied: "Yeah, that's what they're telling me."

Burton directed the 1988 original, which starred Keaton as a so-called "bio-exorcist" trying to scare away the new human inhabitants of a haunted house so that a ghost couple, played by Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis, can continue living there. Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and a 17-year-old Winona Ryder co-starred as the human family members.

In January of this year (2013) Burton spoke about the possibility of returning to the director's chair for Beetlejuice 2, saying: "Those were fun characters, but I'd have to see what the script was like."

The sequel has a script by Seth Grahame-Smith, who also co-wrote the screenplay for Burton's 2012 film Dark Shadows. Speaking back in May 2012, Grahame Smith said the new Beetlejuice movie would not be a "remake" or "reboot", but "a true sequel with Michael Keaton as the title character".

Share This

Don't Miss
Latest Tickets
NME On Social
NME Store