Next Bond film to be released within three years
And MGM's chairman says the studio is looking forward to announcing a director 'soon'
Last year's Skyfall was the highest-grossing Bond film ever, taking over $1.1 billion (£730 million) at the box office worldwide. During a conference call with investors yesterday (March 19), Reuters reports, MGM's CEO Gary Barber gave an update on the follow-up.
He said: "We are very excited about the franchise, we look forward to announcing a director soon. We are currently developing the screenplay and working with our partners. We look forward to developing the script soon and signing a director. We are hoping within the next three years it will be released."
Earlier this month (March), Skyfall director Sam Mendes revealed he was asked to return for the next Bond film by producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, but decided to turn them down. "I have theatre and other commitments… that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond," he explained.
Although Mendes won't be returning, Daniel Craig is contracted for at least two more Bond films and Skyfall writer John Logan has been hired to pen the next two scripts.