December 16, 2013
No 'Indiana Jones' sequels for at least two years, say Disney
Studio acquired rights to franchise earlier this monthBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
There will be no new Indiana Jones films for at least two or three years, Disney have confirmed.
The studio acquired the rights to all future movies in the franchise earlier this month (December 8) but, according to Variety, they have no immediate plans to begin work on a sequel.
Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said they were still waiting to finalise the details of its purchase of the marketing and distribution rights to the franchise from Paramount Pictures and added: "We haven't done anything. We don't have a story. We need a story."
Previously, Indiana Jones star Harrison Ford said he was eager to see a new film in the series happen. He reprised his role as the archaeologist in 2008's Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, joined by Shia LaBeouf as his son Mutt. The film, which revived the action franchise after nearly two decades, was a big hit at the box office, grossing over $780 million (£510 million) worldwide.
Speaking last September (2012), meanwhile, actress Karen Allen - Indy's love interest Marion Ravenwood in the franchise - revealed that Ford and director Steven Spielberg were both "game" for a new Indiana Jones movie, but said that it was up to George Lucas to come up with a workable story. Lucas, who devised the stories for Indy's four previous adventures, is now semi-retired from the film industry.