September 11, 2013 7:17
'Pirates Of The Caribbean 5' could be delayed by a year
Sequel was originally scheduled for July 2015 but now looks likely to open the following summer
Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 is to have its release date pushed back by around a year, The Hollywood Reporter says.
The swashbuckling sequel was originally supposed to arrive in cinemas in July 2015 but is now said to be targeting a summer 2016 opening. Script problems are reportedly behind the delay. Jeff Nathanson, whose previous screenwriting credits include Rush Hour 2, Rush Hour 3 and Catch Me If You Can, is working on the latest draft.
Oscar-nominated Norwegian duo Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg were hired as directors in May and last month they revealed that the film's official title is Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. "Dead men tell no tales" is a well-known line from the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride at Disneyland, California and other Disney theme parks.
Johnny Depp will be back for his fifth appearance as Captain Jack Sparrow, a character he famously based on Keith Richards, who endorsed Depp's performance by playing Sparrow's father, Captain Teague, in the two most recent Pirates movies.
Meanwhile, it's been reported that Orlando Bloom could be returning after he sat out the last instalment. The four films to date have grossed a collective $3.7 billion (£2.3 billion) worldwide, making Pirates Of The Caribbean the fifth biggest film franchise ever.
- Previous: Title and running time of 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary special revealed
- Next: 'American Psycho' TV series in the works