December 18, 2012
'Planet Of The Apes' sequel unlikely to feature James Franco
Actor says he was due to make a cameo, but hasn't had a call from the new directorBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
James Franco has revealed that he is now unlikely to appear in the next Planet Of The Apes film.
The prolific actor starred in last year's Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, a successful reboot of the franchise from British director Rupert Wyatt. The film also starred motion capture specialist Andy Serkis, who delivered an acclaimed performance as a rebellious chimp called Caesar.
Wyatt was originally due to direct the sequel, titled Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, which 20th Century Fox has scheduled for May 2014. However, he dropped out this September (2012) because he reportedly "didn't feel comfortable" about making the release date. He has now been replaced in the director's chair by Matt Reeves, best known for Cloverfield.
According to Franco, Wyatt's exit may have thwarted his chances of appearing in the sequel. He told MTV: "I was going to be a small part of the next one. There was a moment when Rupert Wyatt was going to direct the second one. A lot of the human characters that were in the first movie were dead in the sequel that Rupert was going to direct. But there was one scene, between Caesar and my character, maybe even just like on a video that was left behind."
However, Franco has yet to receive a call from the new director. He explained: "But then a lot of things happened… Now Rupert's not a part of it so I don't know. My guess is I won't be in it. Nobody's talked to me since Rupert left."
Although Franco's return now sounds unlikely, Andy Serkis has previously confirmed that he will be reprising his role as Caesar. The rest of the cast for the sequel has yet to be announced.
- Previous: Vin Diesel to play Kojak in new movie from 'Skyfall' writers
- Next: Jackie Chan to appear in 'The Expendables 3'