December 21, 2012
'Prometheus' writer Damon Lindelof says he will not script sequel
The sequel's set for release in 2014 or 2015, but 'Lost' co-creator Lindelof will not be involved
Prometheus screenwriter Damon Lindelof has revealed that he will not be involved in scripting the sequel.
Directed by Ridley Scott, this year's Prometheus was conceived as a sort of prequel to Scott's 1979 classic Alien. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace starred as members of a spaceship crew attempting to prevent the extinction of the human race.
Lindelof, best known as the co-creator of Lost, came on board to rewrite the original script by John Spaihts. The film came out this June (2012) and performed moderately at the box office, but 20th Century Fox has now confirmed a sequel for a 2014 or 2015 release.
When asked about his role on the second film, Lindelof told Collider: "I'm usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to [Ridley Scott], 'I really don't think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don't know when the other stuff is going to be done.' And he was like, 'Well, OK, it's not like I asked you anyways."
Continuing, Lindelof confirmed that he has effectively ruled himself out of the follow-up. He added: "[Ridley] and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don’t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er."
Last month (November 2012), it was reported that Lindelof, George Clooney and director Brad Bird are working together on a top secret sci-fi film project. Lindelof has also co-written the script for Star Trek Into Darkness, which is due to open in cinemas next May (2013).
- Previous: Simon Amstell confirms that 'Grandma's House' is over
- Next: 'Downton Abbey' star Dan Stevens could join Benedict Cumberbatch on WikiLeaks movie