Report: New 'Star Wars' trilogy already drafted by 'Toy Story 3' writer

Michael Arndt is said to have produced a 'detailed' treatment for the trilogy

Toy Story 3's Michael Arndt has reportedly written a treatment for the new Star Wars trilogy.

Last week (October 31), Disney announced plans to make a new series of Star Wars films after buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion (£2.5 billion). Episode VII is earmarked for release in 2015.

George Lucas will serve as "creative consultant" on the new movies, but will not play an active role in their development. According to Deadline, Arndt was hired several months ago "to put together ideas to take the franchise forward". He is said to have produced a "pretty extensive and detailed treatment" for the next three movies - and is apparently "in line" to work on the actual script for Episode VII.

Arndt is a known Star Wars fan with an impressive CV. He won an Oscar in 2007 for his original screenplay to Little Miss Sunshine and went on to script 2010's Toy Story 3, which earned him another Oscar nomination. He has also co-written The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, due next year.

Predictably, the Star Wars rumour mill is already picking up speed. Earlier this week (November 6), it was reported that X-Men helmer Matthew Vaughn is in talks to direct Episode VII. Meanwhile, Harrison Ford is said to be "open" to the idea of returning as Han Solo.

Share This

Comments
Don't Miss
Latest Tickets
NME On Social
NME Store