November 8, 2012
Report: 'Top Gun 2' has 'fallen apart'
The planned sequel is said to be looking unlikely following the death of director Tony Scott
According to a new report, the planned sequel to Top Gun is looking unlikely following the death of director Tony Scott.
Back in August (2012), Scott died at the age of 68 after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles. It was later reported that he had met Tom Cruise two days before his death to tour a naval air station in Nevada as research.
Cruise had previously spoken enthusiastically about the sequel. Last December (2011), he said that he, Scott and producer Jerry Bruckheimer were keen to make a film "in the same kind of tone" as the original Top Gun. As recently as June, Cruise reiterated: "I want to get in those jets!"
However, now that the project has no director, a report in the New York Times has claimed that Top Gun 2 has "fallen apart".
The report also claims that Paramount Pictures is planning to release Top Gun 3D in cinemas next February. Before Scott's death, the original 1986 Top Gun movie had been converted from 2D to 3D, reportedly to whet appetites for the planned sequel. Scott is said to have "contributed and responded enthusiastically to the conversion in the weeks before his death".
- Previous: Dwayne Johnson to star in new 'Hercules' movie
- Next: 'The Inbetweeners' writers on movie sequel: 'We're getting close'