March 29, 2013
Robert Redford: 'Captain America sequel is a new thing for me'
Veteran actor and director will star in Marvel sequel 'The Winter Soldier'Buy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
Robert Redford says starring in Captain America: The Winter Soldier is "a new thing" for him, citing that as the main reason for wanting to be part of the film.
The actor, best known for leading roles in Out Of Africa, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid and The Sting, is lined up to play a senior official with government agency S.H.I.E.L.D in the film, which will start filming in May and is scheduled for release next year.
In a Q&A with the LA Times, he said: "I'm doing this film because it's different. It's a new thing for me. The 76-year-old hasn't previously appeared in a contemporary superhero or comic-book movie such as Captain America, but added: "I think these films are really powerful. I think they're great. This is the kind of film I would have loved to see as a kid."
Chris Evans will once again star in the title role, making it the third time he's pulled on the famous suit, including his appearance in Avengers Assemble. The film will be directed by Joe and Anthony Russo from a screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who also wrote the first film. "I like the idea of stepping into new territory," Redford continued. "I'm excited by it. I also think it's a good bunch of people who really know what they're doing."
This year will also see Redford appear in The Company You Keep, as well as All Is Lost, Oscar-nominee J C Chandor's second film, in which Redford is confirmed as the only cast member and is thought to have no dialogue.
- Previous: Martin Scorsese developing 'Gangs Of New York' TV show
- Next: Marvel to release different version of 'Iron Man 3' in China