February 1, 2013 11:12
'Sherlock Holmes 3' is unlikely to happen this year, says Jude Law
He and Robert Downey Jr last played Watson and Holmes in 2011
Jude Law has admitted he and Robert Downey Jr are unlikely to make a new Sherlock Holmes movie this year.
Law and Downey Jr teamed up to play Watson and Holmes in Guy Ritchie's 2009 film based on the famous sleuth created by Arthur Conan Doyle. Two years later, they reprised their roles for a sequel called Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows, which was also directed by Madonna's ex.
Both films were big hits at the box office, grossing over $1 billion (£615 million) between them, and Warner Bros has hired screenwriter Drew Pearce to pen a third Sherlock Holmes adventure. However, progress so far has been slow.
Back in December (2012), producer Dan Lin said the film was still "in development", adding: "We're waiting for Downey to finish [Iron Man 3] and to get a script from Drew."
Now Law has confirmed that plans are still hazy. He told The Playlist: "Robert [Downey Jr]'s been very busy and I’ve been busy and it just hasn't lined up yet. I don't think it'll be this year. But that's alright, the interest is still there."
In the meantime, Law will be seen in Side Effects, a psychological thriller from director Steven Soderbergh that opens on March 15. Iron Man 3 starring Downey Jr follows on April 26.
- Previous: Film fans hail Disney's "amazing" 'Paperman' - watch
- Next: 'Entourage: The Movie' eyes April 2014 release