March 13, 2013
'Sherlock' series four confirmed by Benedict Cumberbatch
Series three is about to begin filming, but the stars are already signed up for a fourth series too
Benedict Cumberbatch has confirmed that Sherlock will definitely be returning for a fourth series once its next run of episodes comes to an end.
Cumberbatch and co-star Martin Freeman are due to begin filming series three of the hit detective series created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss next Monday (March 18). Three new 90-minute episodes are expected to air on BBC1 later this year.
However, Cumberbatch has let slip that the actors are actually signed up for another three episodes after that. Speaking to the Radio Times at yesterday's South Bank Show Awards, he said: "We've agreed to two more series but I could get into trouble for saying that. All I know at the moment is I'm doing these three [episodes of the upcoming series] and another three."
Asked whether Sherlock could continue beyond series four, Cumberbatch replied: "It just depends on Martin and I's availability, how long we can keep it going. It depends on Steven's ability. I'd love to keep it going."
The first series of Sherlock aired in summer 2010, with a second run following in early 2012. Since then, the show's stars have become increasingly in demand. Freeman stars as Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit trilogy, while Cumberbatch has roles in several upcoming films, including Star Trek Into Darkness and August: Osage County starring Meryl Streep.
- Previous: Tupac biopic still awaiting finished script, says director
- Next: Sylvester Stallone wants 'young bloods' for 'The Expendables 3'