June 27, 2013
'Skyfall' director Sam Mendes delays decision on whether to return for next Bond film
Mendes originally ruled himself out but now says 'I don't know yet'
Sam Mendes has revealed he is delaying his decision on whether to direct the next Bond film.
Last year's Skyfall has now became the most successful Bond film ever at the box office, grossing over $1.1 billion (£720 million) worldwide. Somewhat surprisingly, Mendes announced in March (2013) that he wouldn't be returning for the next instalment because of "theatre and other commitments".
However, last month (May) it was reported that he was "in talks" to helm the 24th Bond film after all, and now the director has confirmed that he could still return.
Speaking to HeyUGuys at the premiere of his new West End musical Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Mendes said yesterday (June 25): "In answer to the question you're going to ask, I don't know yet. I'm in discussion over the 'B' word and I won't make any decision until this is open. It's taken a long time to get this open and this has been my focus."
Whether or not Mendes says yes, Daniel Craig is on board for another two outings as 007 and Skyfall scribe John Logan has been hired to write the next two scripts. The 24th Bond film is slated for release in 2016.
Meanwhile, after premiering last night, Mendes' musical version of Roald Dahl's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory is booking through to 31 May, 2014 at London's Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
- Previous: 'Skyfall' star Ben Whishaw rules himself out of 'Doctor Who' role
- Next: Mark Ruffalo stars in first trailer for sex addiction dramedy 'Thanks For Sharing' - watch