May 29, 2013
'Skyfall' director Sam Mendes 'in talks' to return for next Bond film
Mendes said no due to theatre commitments, but Bond's producers are apparently happy to wait
Skyfall director Sam Mendes is reportedly in talks to return for the next Bond film - despite previously ruling himself out.
Last year's Skyfall has now become the most successful Bond film ever at the box office, grossing over $1.1 billion (£720 million) worldwide. Surprisingly, Mendes announced back in March (2013) that he wouldn't be returning for the next instalment.
"Directing Skyfall was one of the best experiences of my professional life," Mendes said at the time. "But I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and King Lear, that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond."
However, longtime Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson have recently resumed contact with Mendes, Deadline reports, and the director is now "making a deal" to come back after all. The producers are apparently happy to wait for him to fulfil his theatre commitments and begin work on the follow-up to Skyfall next year (2014).
Earlier this month (May), it was reported that The Dark Knight's Christopher Nolan had been approached to direct the next Bond film. Other directors linked to the franchise have included Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive), Shane Black (Iron Man 3) and Ang Lee (Life Of Pi).
Daniel Craig is on board for another two outings as 007 and Skyfall scribe John Logan has been hired to write the next two scripts. The next instalment is slated for release in 2016.
- Previous: Scarlett Johansson and Reese Witherspoon in the running to star in Hillary Clinton biopic
- Next: 'The Big Lebowski 2' isn't going to happen, say Coen Brothers