April 7, 2014
Star Wars Episode VII cast 'almost complete' says Disney Studios chairman
Ian Horn says actors are in place and filming on new Star Wars has already begunBuy DVD and Blu-ray
from Amazon UK
Casting for the new Star Wars film is almost complete, says Disney Studios chairman Ian Horn.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Horn said there are just a few names to be added to cast, and that filming on the seventh instalment of the Star Wars franchise has already begun.
"We have a lot of them in place," he said of the main actors, whose names are yet to be disclosed. "We're just not completely done yet."
When it came to the script, Horn admitted there had been problems with getting it right, adding: "It's all about the screenplay. It has to be screenplay, screenplay, screenplay," going on to say that he is currently happy with the redrafted script, which has been co-written by Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams, following an early draft by Michael Arndt. Kasdan has co-written two films in the series already, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi.
Finally, he said the film, to be released in December 2015, would pick up where episode six of the saga, Return Of The Jedi, left off. "And where six left off is 35 years ago by the time this is released," he said. So far, Girls Adam Driver, Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Lupita Nyong'o and Zac Efron have been linked to various roles, while the original cast including Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are believed to reprising their roles from the original trilogy.
- Previous: 'The Goonies' director says sequel in the works
- Next: Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney dead at 93