Steven Spielberg insists new sci-fi film 'Robopocalypse' is still going ahead

Reports yesterday (January 10) suggested that the project had been 'postponed indefinitely'

PA
Photo: PA
Steven Spielberg has insisted that Robopocalypse is still going ahead - despite reports yesterday (January 10) suggesting that the film had been shelved.

Robopocalypse is due to be the director's first sci-fi movie since 2005's War Of The Worlds. The script is based on an acclaimed novel by Daniel H Wilson, which follows the human race's attempt to survive an attack from its own robot servants.

Shooting had been expected to begin early this year (2013), until yesterday (January 10) brought news that Spielberg had postponed the film indefinitely. His spokesman Martin Levy told The Hollywood Reporter that the project was "too important and the script is not ready, and it's too expensive to produce. It's back to the drawing board to see what is possible".

Now Spielberg has clarified the situation. When asked by Entertainment Weekly if he is stepping away from the project, Spielberg replied: "Not at all. I'm working on it as we speak."

Clarifying the film's status, he explained: "We found that the film was costing a lot of money and I found a better way to tell the story more economically but also much more personally. I found the personal way into Robopocalypse, and so I just told everybody to go find other jobs, I'm starting on a new script and we'll have this movie back on its feet soon."

The film has already attracted Anne Hathaway, who said in November: "If Robopocalypse happens I will be in it." Spielberg is apparently keen to cast Chris Hemsworth as the male lead and wants Ben Whishaw to take a key supporting role.

Spielberg's current film Lincoln, a biopic starring Daniel Day-Lewis, is the leading contender for this year's Oscars after picking up a whopping 12 nominations yesterday (January 10). Scroll down and click 'play' to watch the trailer.

Share This

Comments
Don't Miss
Latest Tickets
NME On Social
NME Store