February 11, 2013
'The Shawshank Redemption' voted greatest film to lose out on Best Picture Oscar
'The Green Mile', 'Avatar' and 'Star Wars' also included in list
The Shawshank Redemption has been voted as the greatest film to lose out on the Best Picture Oscar, according to a new poll.
According to the Independent, the list of unlucky films which were pipped to the post at the Academy Awards was compiled by Sky, who are launching a new specific Sky Movies Oscars channel on February 11. The channel will show Oscar-winning movies 24 hours a day.
Prison drama The Shawshank Redemption was beaten to the Best Picture gong in 1995 to the Tom Hanks-starring Forrest Gump. Another film set inside prison, The Green Mile, was voted in second place after it lost out to American Beauty in 2000.
Other films on the list include sci-fi adventures Avatar and Star Wars, WWII epic Saving Private Ryan and Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction - which was also beaten to the award in 1995 by Forrest Gump.
The full list of films, as well as the pictures which they were beaten by, is as follows:
1. The Shawshank Redemption (Forrest Gump)
2. The Green Mile (American Beauty)
3. Avatar (The Hurt Locker)
4. Saving Private Ryan (Shakespeare In Love)
5. ET (Gandhi)
6. Star Wars (Annie Hall)
7. Mary Poppins (My Fair Lady)
8. = Doctor Zhivago (The Sound Of Music)
8. = Pulp Fiction (Forrest Gump)
8. = To Kill A Mockingbird (Lawrence Of Arabia)
This year's Oscars take place on Sunday, February 24 at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Previous: Yoda actor Frank Oz keen on 'Star Wars' spin-off film
- Next: 'Wreck-It Ralph' director wants Nintendo's Mario for sequel