September 10, 2012 11:22
Third series of 'Sherlock' to be the last?
Reports there is 'no plans' to film more episodes beyond the forthcoming series.
The third season of the hit BBC crime drama Sherlock could be the last, according to a report.
The Daily Express newspaper have said the forthcoming series, which is due to start filming in early 2013, will most likely be the last outing for actor Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes, as there are no plans to film beyond a third series.
An alleged insider is quoted in the paper as saying the hectic filming schedules of the show's lead actors Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, who plays Holmes sidekick Watson, means they don't have time to film more episodes.
The source said: "Benedict and Martin love Sherlock. It's been fabulous for both of them but it's a question of schedules. They will no doubt be signing off in style."
However, Cumberbatch has previously said he will "always find time" to star in the BBC series, no matter how busy he gets.
He told TV Line: "It's something I'm not going to give up on. I love it too much. It's hard work, but it's so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it. We love our fans and we love what it's created. It's an incredible thing to be part of and it doesn't happen that often. Don't worry, it's not going to disappear."
Cumberbatch added that he didn't see why the series couldn't continue for many years and as they only filmed three episodes each series, that there was no risk of burn out, saying: "We only do three episodes at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many doesn't apply."
He continued: "I'd like to see Sherlock getting older. We're starting quite young. It's rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I've got a way to go. I mean, I'm only 35."
- Previous: Final 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn – Part 2' trailer released
- Next: 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' casts Jeffrey Wright as Beetee