November 12, 2012
'Transformers 4' will take place four years later, says director Michael Bay
The next instalment will star Mark Wahlberg and is due in 2014
Director Michael Bay has revealed that Transformers 4 will pick up the action four years on from events in the last movie.
Earlier this month (November 2012), Bay confirmed that Mark Wahlberg has been cast in the new sequel. However, the fourth Transformers movie will be the first without Shia LaBeouf, who has declined to reprise his role as franchise hero Sam Witwicky.
Speaking back in June (2012), Bay hinted that Transformers 4 will take the franchise in a "new direction", and suggested that it could involve a departure from planet Earth. He said at the time: "I want to go a little off but I don't want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded."
Now, in a new interview with TMZ, Bay has offered a few extra details. When asked whether Wahlberg will be taking over LaBeouf's role, he replied: "No no. The movie will continue four years from the attack on Chicago; which is in the last movie. So it's going to still have the same lineage. And it's going [in] a full new direction and feels very natural how it's going in that direction."
However, Bay also vowed to keep exact plot details under wraps, adding: "There is no way you're going to ever find out what the story is. You don’t have to dig through my trash… I shredded my trash."
Transformers 4 is set to begin shooting next spring (2013) for a June 2014 release. The previous three Transformers movies have all been box office smashes, grossing a collective $2.6 billion (£1.7 billion) worldwide.
- Previous: Director Wes Craven: 'No news on 'Scream 5' yet'
- Next: George Clooney to star in 'top secret' sci-fi film from 'Lost' creator?