November 22, 2011
'Twilight: Breaking Dawn' smashes UK box office record
The supernatural sequel is the biggest ever US opening in the UK
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 has broken records to top the UK box office.
The penultimate movie in the supernatural series took over £13.9 million on its opening weekend, making it the biggest opening of a US movie ever in the UK.
Its Friday figure of £6.35 million surpassed the non-3D opening record set by Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 last year.
Director of film at Entertainment One Alex Hamilton said: "We have the highest three-day opening ever for an American film in the UK. I'd like to thank all the fans of Twilight that have given this three-year-old independent distributor a weekend to remember."
Elsewhere in the top ten, Arthur Christmas and The Adventures Of Tintin hold at numbers two and three respectively, while last week’s number one Immortals drops to four. The only other new entry is Justice at seven.
The UK box office top ten is:
1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - £13,910,877
2. Arthur Christmas - £2,317,953
3. The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn - £988,578
4. Immortals - £950,230
5. In Time - £453,958
6. Tower Heist - £411,888
7. Justice - £276,483
8. Johnny English Reborn - £256,828
9. The Rum Diary - £230,740
10. The Ides Of March - £180,692
- Previous: Francis Ford Coppola: ''The Godfather 2' was a mistake'
- Next: Henry Cavill torn over dual 'Man Of Steel' roles