February 20, 2011 18:59
Adele's ‘Someone Like You’ leaps 46 places to top singles chart
Singer has Number One album as well as single after Brits performance
The singer, whose second album '21' is also Number One in the albums chart, has become the first living artist since The Beatles in 1964 to have two singles and two albums in the UK Top Fives.
Her latest single 'Rolling In The Deep' and her debut album ‘19’ both sit at Number Four in their respective charts.
Adele's performance of ‘Someone Like You’ at Tuesday’s (February 15) Brit Awards ceremony triggered the surge in sales.
Last week’s Number One single spot holder Jessie J fell to Number Two with 'Price Tag', while Lady Gaga could only manage to hit Number Three with ‘Born This Way’.
The Brit Awards have provided a boost to a number of artists this week, with Mumford and Sons rising 13 places to Number Two in the albums chart.
There were also big rises for Brit winner Tinie Tempah, whose debut album is up 19 places to Number Six. Plan B’s ‘The Defamation Of Strickland Banks’ is up 17 places to Number Seven.
PJ Harvey also enjoyed a good chart performance, with her new album ‘Let England Shake’ going in at Number Eight. It is her first top ten album since 1993’s ‘Rid Of Me’.
The Top Ten UK singles are:
1. Adele - ‘Someone Like You’
2. Jessie J - 'Price Tag'
3. Lady Gaga - 'Born This Way'
4. Adele - 'Rolling In The Deep'
5. Chipmunk feat. Chris Brown - 'Champion'
6. Rihanna - ‘S&M (Come On)’
7. Bruno Mars - 'Grenade'
8. JLS feat. Tinie Tempah - ‘Eyes Wide Shut’
9. Chris Brown - 'Yeah 3X'
10. Taio Cruz feat. Kylie Minogue - 'Higher'
The Top Ten UK albums are:
1. Adele - '21'
2. Mumford & Sons - ‘Sigh No More’
3. Rihanna - 'Loud'
4. Adele - ‘19’
5. Bruno Mars - ‘Doo Wops & Hooligans’
6. Tinie Tempah - ‘Disc-Overy’
7. Plan B - ‘The Defamation Of Strickland Banks’
8. PJ Harvey - ‘Let England Shake’
9. Eva Cassidy - 'Simply Eva'
10. Take That - 'Progress'
- Previous: Gaslight Anthem, OCS, Example for new Guernsey festival
- Next: The Strokes to release new 'Angles' song on March 1