December 16, 2013 16:17
Adele's '21' named as Amazon's top-selling album of all time
London singer ahead of Susan Boyle, Mumford & Sons and Taylor Swift in list
As the Independent reports, the London singer's second studio album tops Amazon's list of big-selling records. Since its release in 2011, it has sold 28 million copies worldwide and has been certified platinum in the UK 16 times.
Adele was the only singer to feature in the Top 10 twice as her debut album, '19', at Number Eight in the list. Britain's Got Talent winner Susan Boyle's 'I Dreamed A Dream' was at Number Two, with the 2003 soundtrack from the Broadway musical Wicked at Number Three.
Mumford and Sons, Taylor Swift, Amy Winehouse and Coldplay were among the other artists to make the Top 10, while Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' was revealed as the best-selling MP3 album.
Amazon's list of the Top 10 Best-Selling Albums is as follows:
1. Adele – '21'
2. Susan Boyle – 'I Dreamed A Dream'
3. Stephan Schwartz and Original Broadway Cast - 'Wicked'
4. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss – 'Raising Sand'
5. Mumford & Sons – 'Sigh No More'
6. Taylor Swift – 'Fearless'
7. Amy Winehouse – 'Back To Black'
8. Adele – '19'
9. Dixie Chicks – 'Taking The Long Way'
10. Coldplay – 'Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends'
Adele's last new material was her Oscar-winning Bond theme 'Skyfall', which came out last October.
In April of this year, it was reported that Adele had started work on her follow-up to '21'. According to the report, the singer was in the studio with Simian Mobile Disco's James Ford and singer-songwriter Kid Harpoon, who has previously worked with Florence & The Machine and Jessie Ware.
- Previous: Biffy Clyro announce one-off 2014 Irish date
- Next: Wireless festival 2014 expands to include Birmingham