January 8, 2014 11:52
Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst issues statement about anonymous rape claims
The singer's publicist has issued a response to claims written on a blog
Last month, an unnamed commenter responded to an article on the website XOJane detailing what is was like to date an abusive rock star, writing: "I was raped by a 'rock star' myself. I was 16 years old, he was in his 20s. No one believed me (he wasn’t even that famous then)."
The commenter then later claimed that the "rock star" referred to was Bright Eyes frontman Conor Oberst. She then wrote that she met the singer through her English teacher who was Oberst's brother. She claimed that she was introduced to the singer as a 16th birthday present, which is when she alleges she was raped. A Tumblr user subsequently re-published the series of posts and it has since gone viral.
In her post, the commenter says she regrets not telling anyone about the alleged incident at the time, but says she didn't think anyone would believe her.
Oberst’s publicist has made a public response to the claims. It can be read in full below.
"Usually we wouldn't feel the urge to comment on spurious blog chatter but the recent allegations made about Conor Oberst by an anonymous commenter on the xoJane website are flagrant enough to demand our response. This individual's accusations are absolutely, unequivocally false. Unfortunately, the internet allows for groundless statements like this to travel the world before the truth has any time to surface. This is a particularly serious and sickening allegation and there is no truth to it. Conor has nothing but abhorrence for the perpetrators of crimes of sexual violence. The behavior attributed to him by this individual is in direct opposition to his principles. Conor is consulting with a libel attorney regarding this matter.
There will be no further comment at this time."
- Previous: Ricky Wilson on being a judge on 'The Voice': 'I'm doing it to sell more records'
- Next: Maximo Park discuss 'moodier' new album 'Too Much Information'