November 4, 2008 9:34
NME Cool List 2008 announced
Find out who made the cut and have your say on this year's run-down
The crowd-surfing singer beat the likes of Jay-Z, Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner and MIA to the top spot.
The full run-down of the top 50 is available to check out now on the NME Office Blog.
Jay-Z topped off a year in which he defied his deriders to headline Glastonbury by bagging the Number Two spot ahead of MGMT's Andrew VanWyngarden and Turner, who are third and fourth, respectively.
Late Of The Pier's Sam Dust, Ladyhawke, Caleb Followill of Kings Of Leon and MIA came in fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth respectively, with Oasis' Liam Gallagher returning to the Top Ten at Number Nine.
Liam is one place ahead of Glasvegas' enigmatic drummer Caroline McKay – who supported the Manchester legends at the Gallaghers' recent London Roundhouse gig and pipped bandmate James Allan to make the cut.
See the NME Office Blog for the complete NME writer's Cool List 2008.
Plus have your say about who you think should have made the list at the NME readers' Cool List page.
Watch NMETV on Wednesday (November 5) for a special Cool List countdown programme from 9pm (GMT) on Sky Channel 382 (repeated on Saturday, November 8 at 9pm).
The top 20 entries in the NME Cool List 2008 are:
1. Alice Glass, Crystal Castles
3. Andrew VanWyngarden, MGMT
4. Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys/The Last Shadow Puppets
5: Sam Dust, Late Of The Pier
7. Caleb Followill, Kings Of Leon
9. Liam Gallagher, Oasis
10. Caroline McKay, Glasvegas
11. Pink Eyes, Fucked Up
12. Guy Garvey, Elbow
13. Lil Wayne
14. Dave Sitek, TV On The Radio
15. Johnny Marr, The Cribs
16. Ezra Koenig, Vampire Weekend
18. Ed MacFarlane, Friendly Fires
19. Florence Welch, Florence And The Machine
20. Dev Hynes, Lightspeed Champion
See the NME Office Blog for the full top 50.
- Previous: James Brown, Gwen Stefani, Snoop Dogg memorabilia up for auction
- Next: Is Liam Gallagher the new Bob Geldof? - The Daily Gossip