Corinne Bailey Rae's husband died of 'accidental overdose'

Singer pays tribute to her 'only true love'

Corinne Bailey Rae Live Earth Wembley Stadium 7 July 2007 Pic Guy Eppel
The husband of singer-songwriter Corinne Bailey Rae died after an accidental overdose of methadone and alcohol, a coroner has ruled.

The body of Jason Rae, 31, was found by police at a flat in the Hyde Park area of Leeds on March 22.

Leeds Coroner's Court heard the musician, who played saxophone with Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson, had alcohol and methadone, a heroin substitute, in his blood.

Coroner David Hinchliff also found traces of cocaine and ecstasy during the post-mortem examination, but said these would not have contributed to Rae's death. He gave a verdict of death by misadventure, reports the BBC.

He said: "Methadone is a dangerous substance in its own right.

"It is what's called a central nervous system depressive, which, if taken in quantity, can affect the part of the brain that controls breathing.
"This, coupled with alcohol, can be devastating."

In a statement read by the coroner in court the singer, said: "My husband is my first and only true love. He is the most beautiful and complex person I have ever known. He is utterly irreplaceable."

The Scots-born Rae had recently returned to Leeds, where the couple met in 2001 and were based, after touring with his band, The Haggis Horns.

Share This

Don't Miss
Latest Tickets
NME On Social
NME Store