Daft Punk's 'Random Access Memories' becomes Amazon's best selling vinyl album ever
Sales of records have grown by 100 per cent this year, says the online retailer
The French dance titan's fourth album is not only the best-selling vinyl album on the site of 2013 so far, but has also become the overall vinyl best-seller since 1999, overtaking Adele's '21'. Other albums in Amazon.co.uk's top vinyl albums include Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black', David Bowie's 'The Next Day', Pink Floyd's 'The Dark Side of the Moon' and Bowie's 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars'.
Vinyl sales on Amazon.co.uk have grown by 100 per cent compared to the same time last year. Sales of the format have been growing steadily on the site since 2006, but 2013 has seen a major resurgence in vinyl sales. The figures echo those of the Entertainment Retailers Association, which found that sales of vinyl soared by 44 per cent in the first half of 2013 compared with the same period in 2012 in independent record shops.
According to Amazon, rock music the most popular genre amongst vinyl buyers, accounting for more than 55 per cent of vinyl sales on Amazon.co.uk in 2012.
Top 20 vinyl best-sellers on Amazon.co.uk since 1999:
1. Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories'
2. Adele, '21'
3. Amy Winehouse, 'Back To Black'
4. David Bowie, 'The Next Day'
5. Pink Floyd, 'The Dark Side of the Moon'
6. David Bowie, 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders From Mars'
7. Arctic Monkeys, 'Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not'
8. Pink Floyd, 'The Dark Side of the Moon (30th Anniversary Edition)'
9. Arcade Fire, 'The Suburbs'
10. The Beatles, 'Love Me Do (50th Anniversary Limited Edition 7” Single)'
11. Radiohead, 'In Rainbows'
12. Pink Floyd, 'Wish You Were Here'
13. Bon Iver, 'For Emma, Forever Ago'
14. Radiohead, 'OK Computer'
15. Micah P. Hinson, 'Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel of Progress…'
16. PJ Harvey, 'Let England Shake'
17. Kate Bush, '50 Words for Snow'
18. Alt-J, 'An Awesome Wave'
19. The White Stripes, 'Elephant'
20. The xx, 'xx'
Top 20 vinyl best-sellers on Amazon.co.uk in 2013 to date:
[/b]1. Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories'
2. David Bowie, 'The Next Day'
3. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, 'Push the Sky Away'
4. Black Sabbath, '13'
5. Queens of the Stone Age, 'Like Clockwork'
6. Atoms for Peace, 'Amok'
7. Vampire Weekend, 'Modern Vampires of the City'
8. Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'
9. Alt-J, 'An Awesome Wave'
10. Led Zeppelin, 'Celebration Day'
11. Iron Maiden, 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son'
12. Iron Maiden, 'Somewhere in Time'
13. Iron Maiden, 'Powerslave'
14. Boards of Canada, 'Tomorrow’s Harvest'
15. Pink Floyd, 'The Dark Side of the Moon'
16. John Coltrane, 'Blue Train'
17. National, 'Trouble Will Find Me'
18. Iron Maiden, 'Live After Death'
19. Iron Maiden, 'Maiden England ‘88'
20. Nick Drake, 'Bryter Layter'[/b]