Gore Verbinski has become the third filmmaker to quit the project
A third director has quit the X-Men spin-off Gambit.
Gore Verbinski followed in the footsteps of previous directors Rupert Wyatt and Doug Lipman, after joining the project last year.
The Pirates Of The Caribbean filmmaker reportedly pulled out of working on Gambit just weeks before production was due to begin in New Orleans, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film is currently scheduled for release on February 14, 2019. It is unclear at present whether Verbinski’s departure will have any effect on that release date. It was originally due out in October 2016, but was later pulled from production company 20th Century Fox’s schedule.
Gambit is set to star Channing Tatum as the titular mutant. No other cast members have been confirmed, although Lizzy Caplan is rumoured to appear in the movie.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, she explained it was director Simon Kinberg who convinced her to sign up for next year’s X-Men: Dark Phoenix. “Because when I was trying to talk Simon into directing, he said something like, ‘If I direct it, you have to do it,’” she said. “And I was like, ‘Of course! Duh!’”
She continued: “He’s been writing these characters for so long and he knows them so deeply. I suddenly felt more connected to my character than I ever have been before.”