BBC denies asking Jeremy Clarkson to return to ‘Top Gear’ last week

Clarkson claims he was asked back to 'Top Gear' but said no because 'too much has gone on'

The BBC has denied asking Jeremy Clarkson to return to Top Gear last week.

Clarkson claims in today’s edition of The Sun that he was recently offered to opportunity to reprise his presenting role on the motoring show, even though the BBC had said in March that his contract would not be renewed.

“I had a meeting with a BBC executive last week and they asked if I’d come back to Top Gear,” Clarkson told the newspaper. “But it was never an option, even with the one million people signing the Bring Back Clarkson petition – for which I was extremely humbled. Too much has gone on. After I’d been compared to Jimmy Savile by someone from the BBC and it was splashed all over a Sunday newspaper, how could I go back?”

However, the BBC has since released a statement dismissing Clarkson’s claims, saying: “We haven’t offered another Top Gear contract. The BBC had placed on record its thanks to Jeremy for his broadcasting on the programme and wish him well for the future.”

The BBC announced on Tuesday (June 16) that Chris Evans has been hired as the new presenter of Top Gear. Evans has since launched an open audition to find “potential petrolhead talent” to join him on the show. More information on how to apply can be found on the Top Gear website.