‘Blade Runner 2049’ director says he ‘made a monster’ with the sci-fi sequel

He didn't realise until work on the film was finished

Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve has said he “made a monster” with the sci-fi sequel.

The 2017 film came 25 years after the original Blade Runner movie, and starred original cast member Harrison Ford alongside Ryan Gosling.

Speaking to The Telegraph, the filmmaker said of the five-time Oscar nominee: “Let’s just say it would not be a good idea for me to make a movie like that twice.”

Villeneuve continued to explain the nature of a film, describing it as being like being “in a bubble”. “It was only when I came out that I realised we had made a monster,” he said.

The film is up for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Mixing, Best Production Design, and Best Sound Editing at the 2018 Oscars, which take place in Los Angeles on March 4. Additionally, the movie is one of six nominees in the Best Film supported by Zig-Zag category at the VO5 NME Awards 2018, while it could also claim a further eight trophies at this years BAFTAs.

Last year, Ridley Scott revealed his issue with the sequel, saying it was “way too long”. The film clocks in at 163 minutes, but Villeneuve’s original cut actually ran to four hours.

“I have to be careful what I say,” he told Vulture in what the publication noted was a whisper. “I have to be careful what I say. It was fucking way too long. Fuck me! And most of that script’s mine.”