The writer and star was apparently unhappy with the cast's bonus

https://link.brightcove.com/services/player/?bctid=998101669001
A sequel to Bridesmaids could go ahead without its star and co-writer Kristen Wiig.

The matrimonial comedy was one of the smash hits of 2011, but with the Saturday Night Live actress apparently reluctant to commit to a sequel, Universal may now move forward without her.

Wiig told Hollywood Reporter that she and co-writer Annie Mumolo are concentrating on other projects

We aren’t working on that. Annie and I aren’t planning a sequel. We are writing something else.

However, a studio rep said that they are still considering a sequel: “We are over the moon with the success of Bridesmaids, and if we do a sequel we want to get it right. We are talking to filmmakers now about concepts, and if the right one emerges, we’ll move forward.”

One explanation for Wiig’s reluctance to return to her creation is that the certain of the principle cast were unhappy with the $100,000 bonus they each received after the film’s success. Bridesmaids took $288 million (£185 million) worldwide from a budget of $32 million (£21 million). Wiig declined to comment when asked whether she was offended by the figure.

Universal chief Ron Meyer apparently took Wiig out to dinner in New York, offering her an eight-figure payday to change her mind, but she apparently held firm.

Bridesmaids, an ensemble comedy co-starring Rose Byrne, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper was one of last year’s best-loved comedies, and has been tipped for Oscar success.

You can watch a clip at the top of the page.
Video