Paramount will retain rights to previous four movies starring Harrison Ford
Disney has acquired the rights to all future movies in the Indiana Jones franchise.
Walt Disney Studios confirmed on Friday (December 6) that they have bought the rights to distribute any future film in the action film franchise. Paramount Pictures, who previously owned the rights, will remain the owners of the first four films, reports Entertainment Weekly.
It is reported that Disney has no current plans to put a new Indiana Jones film into production, but the film’s star, Harrison Ford, has said he would like to see a new film happen.
Ford reprised his role as the ass-kicking archaeologist in 2008’s Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, joined by Shia LaBeouf as his son Mutt. The film, which revived the action franchise after nearly two decades, was a big hit at the box office, grossing over $780 million (£510 million) worldwide.
Ford, now 71, recently told the Daily Telegraph that a sequel remains a possibility, but suggested that it wouldn’t require him to perform quite so many stunts.
“We’ve seen the character develop and grow over a period of time and it’s perfectly appropriate and OK for him to come back again with a great movie around him where he doesn’t necessarily have to kick as much ass,” Ford explained. “To me, what was interesting about the character was that he prevailed, that he had courage, that he had wit, that he had intelligence, that he was frightened and that he still managed to survive. That I can do.”
Speaking last September (2012), actress Karen Allen – Indy’s love interest Marion Ravenwood in the franchise – revealed that Ford and director Steven Spielberg were both “game” for a new Indiana Jones movie, but said that it was up to George Lucas to come up with a workable story. Lucas, who devised the stories for Indy’s four previous adventures, is now semi-retired from the film industry.